Creating a new life in a new community can be difficult. But, there are lots of people and organizations here to help you. For example, you may need help to find a job and find somewhere to live, among other things. This checklist will help. It provides a list of things you should know and shows you where you can go for more information and support.
Upon arrival in Leeds & Grenville you should:
- Contact the TR Leger Immigrant Services/TR Leger Services aux Immigrants . They can help you find the information and services you need to start your new life, including language training and help finding work. They operate across Leeds & Grenville, and can come to you for a meeting.
- Apply for Canadian identification, such as a driver?s license and a health insurance card, which you should carry with you at all times.
- Open a bank account and begin to establish your credit.
- Apply for private health insurance if you are not eligible for immediate public health insurance coverage in your province or territory.
- Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN).
- Look for a job.
In your first few weeks you will likely need to:
- Exchange your money for Canadian currency. You can do this at any local bank.
- Explore your housing options.
- Do some shopping for you and your family. There are many shopping options across Leeds & Grenville.
- Get a telephone book from the local telephone company. You can find out how to contact your local telephone company by dialing 411 from any phone.
- Learn more about traveling to and from Leeds & Grenville.
- Register your children in school.
In your first few months you will likely need to:
- Practice and improve your English language skills
- Explore your options for communications and other household services
- Get a family doctor
- Have your children immunized
- Apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit
- Apply for the GST/HST Credit
You may also want to: