Coming to Canada is an exciting opportunity but usually you need to apply before you can be approved to come here. The information below can help you understand the requirements and the steps to apply in each category:
Short-Term Stay (0 - 2 years)
If you would like to come to Canada on a short term basis, there are a few different options:
- Visiting - Be one of the more than 5 million people who come to Canada to visit and enjoy the many opportunities our country has to offer.
- International students - For people who want to study in Canada
- Temporary workers - Work temporarily in jobs that help Canadian employers address skill shortages, or work as a live-in caregiver.
Long-Term Stay (2+ years)
If you want to immigrate to Canada on a long-term, or permanent basis, there are a few different ways to apply. You will need to decide which immigration program will work best for you and your family.
- Skilled workers and professionals - For people who want to settle and work in Canada in a skilled profession.
- Canadian Experience Class - For people who have recent Canadian work experience or have graduated and recently worked in Canada
- Investors, entrepreneurs and self-employed people - For people who want to start a business in Canada
- Provincial nominees - One of Canada’s provinces or territories can nominate you to settle and work there
- Sponsoring your family - How to sponsor a family member to join you here if you are a permanent resident or a Canadian citizen. The Cornwall Immigrant Resource Centre can help you with this process.